The organization comprises: American Repertory Ballet professional company, the preeminent classical and contemporary ballet company in the state; Princeton Ballet School, one of the largest and most respected non-profit dance schools in the nation; and ARB’s Access & Enrichment initiatives, including the long-running and acclaimed DANCE POWER program.
The performing company is a classical and contemporary ballet company committed to presenting ballets from the 19th and 20th centuries alongside new and existing works by choreographers from today. Founded in 1963, the company is currently under the artistic leadership of Douglas Martin, former principal dancer with the Joffrey Ballet. Its rich history of repertory includes established masterpieces by distinguished American choreographers such as George Balanchine, Gerald Arpino, Alvin Ailey, Paul Taylor and Twyla Tharp; cutting edge works by choreographers such as Val Caniparoli, Kirk Peterson, Dominique Dumais, Harrison McEldowney, Amy Seiwert, Susan Shields, Melissa Barak, Patrick Corbin, Trinette Singleton, and ARB Resident Choreographer Mary Barton; and former Artistic Directors Dermot Burke, Marjorie Mussman, Septime Webre and Graham Lustig. ARB has been designated a “Major Arts Institution” by the New Jersey State Council on the Arts consistently for the past two decades, and has repeatedly been awarded a Citation of Excellence by the Council. ARB was voted the Jersey Arts People’s Choice for “Favorite Dance Company” in2008, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
American Repertory Ballet’s Mission is to bring the joy, beauty, artistry and discipline of classical and contemporary dance to New Jersey and nationwide audiences through public performances displaying ballets from the 19th and 20th Century alongside works by contemporary artists in the field.
Since its founding as the Princeton Regional Ballet Company, the Company has fulfilled this mission by:
- Performing at major venues throughout New Jersey and beyond for approximately 30,000 patrons annually
- Performing a Nutcracker each holiday season since 1963
- Presenting diverse masterworks by renowned choreographers such as Gerald Arpino, George Balanchine, and Twyla Tharp
- Commissioning new works by cutting edge artists such as Amy Seiwert, Kirk Peterson, and Melissa Barak
- Being recognized by the New Jersey State Council on the Arts, the National Endowment for the Arts, and other major foundations and leaders in the field as a prominent force in the field of dance